Many of Australia’s trees, bushes and other varieties of plants take in a lot of water when they aren’t faced with adverse conditions. This means that once the water has been depleted from one part of the soil, the roots will begin to disperse to obtain more water. This dispersion of roots can cause great damage to other plants, as well as walls, footpaths, and driveways. To prevent damage from root systems, install a root barrier.
Our Root Control Barrier consists of a flexible High-Density Polythene membrane that is designed to restrict the unwanted movement of root growth. As well as this, Root Control Barrier is lightweight and easy to install and maintain and it is a far less expensive and flexible solution to invasive root growth than more difficult solutions such as sheet metal and concrete.
Features and Benefits:
- Stops the spread of roots to unwanted areas
- Reduces damage to walkways, driveways, garden beds, roads, and infrastructure
- Easy to install, can be cut to shape and is cost-effective
- Joined by butyl tape to form a tight seal, blocking moisture and vapour
- UV stabilized, high-density polyethylene to ensure long-term protection
- Root Control Barrier retains moisture around the root ball
All of the features of the Root Control Barrier are designed to allow it to prevent invasive root growth from causing any damage while still allowing it to easily integrate into its environment.
- Colour: Black
- Thickness: 1mm
- We cut to the length and suit to meet your specifications
- Root Control Barrier is also in 50-metre rolls:
- 450 x 1000mm
- 500 x 1000mm
- 600 x 1000mm
At All Stake Supply, we understand that every project is different. That’s why we’ll cut our Root Control Barrier to suit the specifications that you set, so you know that you have the right amount of product for the job. If you need a high-quality root barrier to prevent invasive root damage at your home or site, talk to All Stake Supply today.
Root barrier installation process
1. Dig a 10cm wide trench around the tree. You may need a 360* barrier OR just a single side barrier depending on your tree location and where you wish to prevent root growth.
2. The depth of the trench should be from 600mm to 1000mm depending on how aerated the soil is. Very few roots grow below 1000mm.
3. Once the trench is dug, insert the root barrier in the trench, flat against the side of the trench wall, ensuring 50mm of the barrier is exposed. This allows for settlement.
4. If placing the root barrier in a 360* circle around the root ball use Butyl tape to join each end.
5. Fill in the trench with soil, compacting the dirt.
6. Place the lawn or alternative topping back over the compacted soil trench.
7. Trim the barrier if needed to ensure it doesn’t interfere with lawn-mowers or the look of the garden. Make sure the top of the root barrier is still visible.
For more detailed information check out our blog article about root barriers
Am I able to use a root barrier on planted, mature trees?
No. Root Barrier is an effective solution before a tree becomes too mature, as the perimeter of the root system is too difficult to locate. Root Barrier can be installed at any time when protecting structures such as foot paths/
How can I be sure if I have installed my root barrier properly?
Read the instructions at this link https://www.allstakesupply.com.au/product/root-barrier/
As well as tree roots, what other plants would benefit from root barrier installation?
Root barrier could also be used to limit spreading of Kikuyu grass. This type of grass has an aggressive growth and is considered a noxious weed in many areas.
Is there a possibility that a root barrier can harm my tree?
Yes. If the root barrier is placed too close to the tree it can restrict the roots and inhibit growth, or worse kill the plant.
Where is the root barrier material sourced from?
Our Root Barrier is Australian made.
Will I need to purchase the butyl tape separately?
Yes. The butyl tape is highly recommended as it s pressure sensitive and creates a moisture resistant seal.
Does the root barrier come with a warranty?
All of our products have a 12-month manufacturer’s warranty.
On average, how long can I expect my root barrier to last?
Root Barrier is made from flexible, UV stabilized High Density Polythene and can last extremely long periods of time.
Am I able to contact you with any enquiries regarding my root barrier?
Absolutely! You can call 1300 130 123 for sales or (02) 9627 3699 for our office. Alternatively, you can email enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org