Many of Australia’s trees, bushes and other varieties of plants take in a lot of water when faced with adverse conditions. This means that once the water is depleted from one part of the soil, the roots will begin to disperse to obtain more water. This dispersion of roots can cause significant damage to other plants, as well as walls, footpaths, and driveways. To prevent damage from root systems, install a root barrier.
Our Root Control Barrier consists of a flexible High-Density Polythene membrane designed to restrict the unwanted movement of root growth. As well as this, Root Control Barrier is lightweight and easy to install and maintain, and it is a far less expensive and flexible solution to invasive root growth than more difficult solutions such as sheet metal and concrete.
Features and Benefits:
- Stops the spread of roots to unwanted areas
- Reduces damage to walkways, driveways, garden beds, roads, and infrastructure
- Easy to install, can be cut to shape and is cost-effective
- Joined by butyl tape to form a tight seal, blocking moisture and vapour
- UV stabilized, high-density polyethylene to ensure long-term protection
- Root Control Barrier retains moisture around the root ball
All of the features of the Root Control Barrier are designed to allow it to prevent invasive root growth from causing any damage while still allowing it to easily integrate into its environment.
- Colour: Black
- Thickness: 1mm
- We cut to the length and suit to meet your specifications
- Root Control Barrier is also in 50-metre rolls:
- 450 x 1000mm
- 500 x 1000mm
- 600 x 1000mm
At All Stake Supply, we understand that every project is different. That’s why we’ll cut our Root Control Barrier to suit the specifications that you set, so you know that you have the right amount of product for the job. If you need a high-quality root barrier to prevent invasive root damage at your home or site, talk to All Stake Supply today.
Root barrier installation process
1. Dig a 10cm wide trench around the tree. You may need a 360* barrier OR just a single side barrier depending on your tree location and where you wish to prevent root growth.
2. The depth of the trench should be from 600mm to 1000mm, depending on how aerated the soil is. Few roots grow below 1000mm.
3. Once you dig the trench, insert the root barrier, flat against the side of the trench wall, ensuring 50mm of the barrier is exposed. This allows for settlement.
4. If placing the root barrier in a 360* circle around the root ball, use Butyl tape to join each end.
5. Fill in the trench with soil, compacting the dirt.
6. Place the lawn or alternative topping back over the compacted soil trench.
7. Trim the barrier if needed to ensure it doesn’t interfere with lawn-mowers or the look of the garden. Make sure the top of the barrier is still visible.
For more detailed information check out our blog article about root barriers
Am I able to use a root barrier on planted, mature trees?
No. Root Barrier is an effective solution before a tree becomes too mature, as the perimeter of the root system is too difficult to locate. Root Barrier can be installed at any time when protecting structures such as footpaths.
As well as tree roots, what other plants would benefit from root barrier installation?
Root barrier could also be used to limit the spreading of Kikuyu grass. This type of grass has aggressive growth and is considered a noxious weed in many areas.
Is there a possibility that a root barrier can harm my tree?
Yes. If the root barrier is placed too close to the tree, it can restrict the roots and inhibit growth or worse kill the plant.
Where is the root barrier material sourced from?
Our Root Barrier is Australian made. They are made from durable polymer plastic that is UV resistant and designed for the Australian climate.
Will I need to purchase the butyl tape separately?
Yes. The butyl tape is highly recommended as its pressure-sensitive and creates a moisture-resistant seal.
Does the root barrier come with a warranty?
All of our products have a 12-month manufacturer’s warranty.
On average, how long can I expect my root barrier to last?
Root Barrier is made from flexible, UV stabilised High-Density Polythene and can last extremely long periods. They are a permanent solution which shouldn’t need replacing
Am I able to contact you with any enquiries regarding my root barrier?
Absolutely! You can call 1300 130 123 for sales or (02) 9627 3699 for our office. Alternatively, you can email enquiries to [email protected]